Saturday, May 27, 2023

Manual Labor #1: A worker's burden

Recently I was asked if I would help unload a truck filled with office furniture and carry it up to the first floor of an still-under-construction building. In other words, would I work as a labourer paid by the hour. I agreed.

It turned out to be an 8.5 tonnes (8500 kg) of load that 4 persons (me included) had to carry into the building and up a spiral staircase. Some of the items weighed a 130 kgs each; implying that we carried about 30 kg per person (since that needed all four of us). The larger picture is even more incredible: each of us moved about 2000 kg in just 4 hours (minus the 500 kgs for the packing). I calculated it again and again in my head to allow that to sink in.



By the time we finished it, my body was absolutely drained out. Yet, I was happy for the experience and that my body was able to get through it. And, I agreed to do the next load as well, that arrives soon.

Having had this experience I can now say, with even more conviction, that everyone; including all policy makers, politicians, intellectuals, scientists, artists, creatives or any blue collared middle-class-status-upwards person must undertake such labour as part of their education and training, before moving on to any jobs. I would then love to hear their thoughts on the miminum wage that such labor should be paid.


And here's a big motivating part for all the gym goers: imagine a serious workout and instead of paying the gym, you get paid at the end.


Parvez

(All rights reserved. Reproduction of this text requires the Authors explicit permission.)

No comments: